Friday, March 14, 2008

Freedom the Tibetan people!




PRESS RELEASE


I am deeply concerned over the situation that has been developing in Tibet following peaceful protests in many parts of Tibet, including Lhasa, in recent days. These protests are a manifestation of the deep-rooted resentment of the Tibetan people under the present governance.

As I have always said, unity and stability under brute force is at best a temporary solution. It is unrealistic to expect unity and stability under such a rule and would therefore not be conducive to finding a peaceful and lasting solution.

I therefore appeal to the Chinese leadership to stop using force and address the long-simmering resentment of the Tibetan people through dialogue with the Tibetan people. I also urge my fellow Tibetans not to resort to violence.


THE DALAI LAMA


Published: 2008-03-14 05:58:28

Statement of H.H. the Dalai Lama on the 49th Tibetan National Uprising Day
Dharamsala, HP, India, 10 March 2008 - On the occasion of the 49th anniversary of the Tibetan people's peaceful uprising in Lhasa on 10 March 1959, I offer my prayers and pay tribute to those brave men and women of Tibet who have endured untold hardships and sacrificed their lives for the cause of the Tibetan people and express my solidarity with those Tibetans presently undergoing repression and ill-treatment. I also extend my-greetings to Tibetans in and outside Tibet, supporters of the Tibetan cause and all who cherish justice.
Published: 2008-03-10 22:26:23

1 comment:

DL said...

Salvador,

I have found an interesting quotation from British MP Fabian Hamilton:

The influx of Chinese settlers in Tibet is a serious threat and is making the Tibetans a minority in their own land. When we were in Lhasa (capital of Tibet) we saw Chinese everywhere and more were due to arrive and many will have come now because of the introduction of the railway line from China to Tibet

I think that is an important factor in Lhassa protests. People are angered not only from Chinese domination but by the practices from Chinese shoopkeepers.

(More information at Tibet.com)

Blog Archive